Good design is not just what looks good. It also needs to perform, convert and fulfill its purpose. It can be innovative or it might just get the job done.
Creating a website design can be a daunting task and designing specifically for an eCommerce website has it’sown set of issues. It’s likely you already have an idea of the outcome, however, the design must always reflect the products you sell and the type of visitors you want to attract.
When it comes to user experience, eCommerce websites are the experts. It makes sense; after all, they’re one of the most complex types of sites to be found on the web. One of the major problems why some eCommerce websites are not able to attract customers is down to the UI & UX offered.
So there’s a lot of great insight to be taken from eCommerce websites; here you’ll find some of the useful practices that are applicable to eCommerce web design and the overall experience that it provides :
- Layouts are simple and predictable, but still engaging and attractive
- Use bold imagery to compliment your layout
- Creating a simple navigation interface
- Darken the homepage to help the user focus on the navigation
- Use a mega drop down menu to increase the average basket spend
- Focus on the product details page
- Right Content with Call to Action links
- Simplified Checkout process
- Make browsing categories easier by adding a short delay
- Mention of Shipping & Return Policy, and Contact Information
No matter the amount of money spent on Search Marketing, Social Media, and other marketing activities, if a website does not follow the above tips then it is doomed to failure from the start. The biggest Marketing tool is word of mouth and a good UI & UX facilitates this and helps any entrepreneur to achieve his dream.